Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 July 2012

Parties


Sunday, 15 July 2012

Yesterday morning we said goodbye to Denise and Barry as they left on the first leg of their journey to Seaforth. Barry has been waiting to get to Seaforth ever since he arrived in Cairns – this is were his holiday will start! Fortunately, they also took the rain with them, but not the humidity.

During the afternoon, we received a telephone call from Denise to let us know that Barry’s mother had just passed away and they would need to return to Cairns in order to fly home. We arranged with the caravan park for them to return on Sunday, organised storage for their caravan and car and booked flights – Denise was very trusting and gave us her Frequent Flyer number and pin, as well as her credit card number. They will fly home Tuesday morning. Our thoughts are with them, and their family, at this time.

We have come to the conclusion that Cairns residents are either deaf, very tolerant or have just given up believing that the police can help with noise complaints. For the second time this week, we have been “treated” to an all night party held somewhere in the vicinity. Wednesday’s party finished at 5.45 am but last night’s continued until 8.00 am this morning! I even tried ringing the police at 4.30 am on Thursday morning but just gave up in the end and told them not to bother as it was nearly time to get up anyway. After giving them my mobile number twice, telling them where I was and why I was ringing, giving my name a couple of times, telling them again where I was, I was asked for my home address. Of course, “Why are you calling Brisbane when you live in Hobart? I just need a few more personal details …” Gave up, not worth the effort or the cost.

This morning it rained – again! (We are still wearing shorts and t-shirts, though.) Fortunately, it stopped about mid-morning, just in time for Denise and Barry to arrive and get set up. Maureen and I did a quick dash into Rusty’s Market for some fresh fruit and produce and I discovered that fresh coconuts, straight from the tree, are available there (Michael has been wondering if he can get a coconut when he comes to Cairns).

This afternoon, we had a stroll along the Esplanade and a look at the Sustainable Living Expo; I wasn’t too sure about the recyclable clothing on display.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get Antinoise ear plugs from chemist - about $9 for a packet of 6. They are pink and can be rolled to fit in the ear - work wonderfully well - I wear them a lot at night to get a good nights sleep. Seriously.